- ¼ cup vegetable oil, for frying
- 12 El Milagro corn tortillas, cut into 8 wedges each
- Kosher salt
- 4 Roma tomatoes or 2 large tomatoes (about 1 ½ pounds), chopped
- ½ large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium jalapeño, sliced (remove the seeds for a less spicy dish)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 ¼ cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, divided
- Heat ¼ cup oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add about a quarter of the tortilla wedges and cook. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Repeat this process until all tortillas are fried, adding more oil if needed.
- Place the tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, and garlic in a blender or food processor. Pour in 1 cup of the broth. Blend until smooth.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the salsa and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Taste and season with salt as needed.
- Add the tortilla chips and stir carefully to coat the chips. Cook until the tortillas are heated through, about 3 minutes. Taste and season with salt as needed.
- Serve warm garnished with avocado or guacamole, crema, queso fresco, and/or fried eggs, if desired.